Sunday, 6 August 2017

Yang



Yang was Charlton's entry into the '70's Kung Fu craze, and though he wasn't as late to the game as Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter, he's not exactly Shang-Chi or Iron Fist either.


Yang is basically Kwai-Chang Caine with an attitude, traversing the Old West righting wrongs and breaking skulls, while constantly falling in love with, and then getting betrayed by, his arch nemesis, Dragon Lady Yin.
The stories by Charlton's uber author Joe Gill are fun, but the real draw is the artwork of Warren Sattler. When I was a dumb kid, I know I would've hated Sattler's art, as at first glance, it may seem a bit generic and even slightly bland. But look closer and you'll see echoes of Kubert, Kurtzman and Thorne. There's a real stylist at work here, and a proper storyteller.
Sattler liked working at Charlton for the same reasons everybody else did: The wages were low, but the freedom was total and, like Jim Aparo, Sattler pencilled, lettered, inked and even wrote when given the chance.

So I like Yang. Sure, he's a bit one dimensional, but he doesn't take any crap, and the stories, like Yang himself, never slow down. Here he is, doing his bit for Women's Lib.







 
















2 comments:

  1. I had a great big pile of Yang comics when I was a kid. In retrospect, I'm not sure what the appeal was. I can only put it down to the fact that he was only comic book martial artist I knew of who couldn't wait to get into a scrap and seemed to have no philosophical musings whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abso'kinglutely. Shang-Chi was great, but my god, did he naval gaze. Yang just cracked skulls.

    ReplyDelete