Thursday, 9 February 2017

Sally Forth



Sally Forth was Wally Wood's good girl strip for The Overseas Weekly, a paper that, like it sounds, was distributed to Army bases throughout the world. It started in 1968, and ran alongside Woody's spy adventure strip Cannon. The brief for both strips being simple: Woody could draw whatever he liked, so long as there was a naked girl on every page.
Cannon was more difficult, as an ostensibly 'serious' piece, to continue to come up with reasons for female characters to lose their clothes, but Sally was designed as a romp from day one, and resembles a naughty version of Woody's work on the early Mad's.
Sally is the original happy, dumb sexist male fantasy without a single thought in her head, but unlike some of the darker parts of Cannon, is impossible to be offended by. Bouncing around from one genre parody to another, accompanied by pals The Co-ed Commandos, it's just a frothy, good hearted piece of fun. Here's one of the more family friendly pieces, where the gang meet up with the old Universal monsters, and their arch nemesis, ( and real star of the strip ) the hapless & hopeless Captain Meno. Trust me, this guy's as persistent as Wile E. Coyote.







7 comments:

  1. Ah yes, Wally Wood and his penchant for big tits.
    He was the guy who first drew Power Girl!

    M.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know where I can get a cheap copy of the Compleat Sally Forth? And where did you get the strips from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's from the issue of Witzend it appeared in, Neil. As for The Compleat Sally, I bought mine when it first came out, and haven't scanned it yet, and imagine it's well expensive on ebay. You could've try amazon, I found a cheap second hand copy of Ariel on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked both. No luck, Pete, but thanks for the options. Don't ruin your book to scan anything though the thought is kind. Thanks for the info on the Witzend. Much appreciated. I did get the Compleat Cannon by Woody years ago at a bookstore so am glad to at least have that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So... does this mean you're still mulling over whether the interwebs are ready for an adults only version of the blog then, Pete?

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the devil are my shoulder, Sean! I am leaning towards BAOB Adults Only, especially now I'm twittering, but I will need to get a backlog together like I have on this one, so be a little while I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could anyone draw sexier women than Wally Wood? All the blood is rushing away from my head.

    ReplyDelete