Sunday, 4 December 2016

The Avengers: The Summons Of Psyklop



Here's the first part of a brilliant Avengers / Hulk crossover plotted by Harlan Ellison, then scripted by Roy Thomas.
In actual fact, the finished story is technically a non team-up, as ol' Jade Jaws spends most of this issue unconscious, while Earth's Mightiest Heroes don't make it to the second part of the tale in Greenskin's mag at all.
But Rascally sticks closely to Ellison's draft, ( seen in pre-FOOM mag, Marvelmania ) only really adding a bit of voodoo fun for Cap & Falc for no readily apparent reason, as well as a bizarre bit of dialogue where T' Challa begs off this month's adventure as he has pressing business back in Wakanda and Quicksilver, of all people, tells him that: None shall miss you more than I...
Oh, and there's a Captain Marvel in-joke. But there always is with Roy.





















9 comments:

  1. This mag (along with the second part in Incredible Hulk #140)is what turned me from an occasional reader to a rabid Marvel Maniac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this was a young sal buscema,still expanding his artistic chops. These early Avengers issues he did still stands as some of his best work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of my favourite Avengers tales and this is the first time I've ever seen it in colour. Thanks for posting it, Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Cor, Steve, you need to get your head out of those British Marvel's, son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my all time favourites as well -I think I forst saw this either inthe UK Avengers comic of Mighty World of Marvel and it blew me away - Sal Buscema's art was just amazing at thi stime (and for years afterwards) I managed to pick up a US copy of the second part of this story ( Hulk issue 140 with Trimpe art) a few months ago But this is also the first time I have seen this version in colour as well so thanks for showing it, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd only been reading The Avengers (and comics in general) for a couple of months when this issue was published...was so clueless about how comics could be done that I took that "Psyklop's-eye View" on P 18 to just be some groovy pop-art sort of effect thrown in for effect (not that I was complaining!).

    It was this sort of art that made me a fan of Sal Buscema, which made it disappointing in years to follow when pressure to produce or otherwise meant that he seemed to just be grinding it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like McScotty, I first saw this tale (in b&w with some grey tones I think) spread over a couple of issues of The Mighty World Of Marvel around the mid'70s (still got them), although unlike Steve, I think I did later see it in colour somewhere. The story was printed out of sequence to the stories then appearing in Avengers weekly, so Goliath's costume was altered to how it looked in that mag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stuff like this is why The Avengers were my gateway into the world of Comics. Thanks so much for posting this.

    Side note: I found the red-tinted vision of the Avengers from Psyklop' s perspective to be one of the neater panels in this one.

    ReplyDelete