Sunday, 27 November 2016

Supergirl



I really like this short Supergirl series ( 10 issues from 1972-1974 ) that came off the Maid of Might's appearances in Adventure Comics. It's gentle stuff that won't hurt you, and Supergirl comes across as a good egg, which is the way I've always seen her, plus in a career of bad costume choices, there's a lot to be said for the small 's' and hotpants combo.


The stories are by Cary Bates, Superman's joint best Bronze Age writer alongside Elliott S. Maggin, and the artwork, by Art Saaf, is akin to a particularly well done romance comic. Even Vince Colletta on inks comes out of this well.
It's bright, breezy and bouncy, with a carefree Supergirl having a lot of fun attending university and flying around and just, well, being Supergirl. Remember when superheroes had fun?
It's a nice comic, that's all, and we can always do with a few more of those. Here's the first issue.

















6 comments:

  1. Great stuff! You can't go wrong with Art Saaf. I wish the current TV series was this good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad, Pete. The Bob Oksner covers are terrific, too. I favor the ADVENTURE series because Oksner and Tony DeZuniga were involved in it, as well as Art Saaf, but this one is unjustly ignored. Simple, clean and fun. It's nearly impossible to find comics like that in 2016...that's one reason we dig the Bronze Age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not bad, Pete. The Bob Oksner covers are terrific, too. I favor the ADVENTURE series because Oksner and Tony DeZuniga were involved in it, as well as Art Saaf, but this one is unjustly ignored. Simple, clean and fun. It's nearly impossible to find comics like that in 2016...that's one reason we dig the Bronze Age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely - tho' I can recommend Waid's new Black Widow run. Closest we're able to get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Kevin said.

    Sorry to (probably) be so late to the party, but it just occurred to me that Supergirl and the original Ms. Marvel both had the last name Danvers.

    Carol (Ms. Marvel' s first name) and Kara (Supergirl's name in the t.v.show) are pretty similar.

    I'm confident this is stuff that's long been recognized by others, so if anybody can give me further info on the character similarities, I'd appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Kevin said.

    Sorry to (probably) be so late to the party, but it just occurred to me that Supergirl and the original Ms. Marvel both had the last name Danvers.

    Carol (Ms. Marvel' s first name) and Kara (Supergirl's name in the t.v.show) are pretty similar.

    I'm confident this is stuff that's long been recognized by others, so if anybody can give me further info on the character similarities, I'd appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete