Sunday, 23 October 2016

Steve Dillon's Nick Fury, Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D



As you've probably heard by now, we sadly lost Steve Dillon yesterday. Me, I was into Steve's stuff literally from day one, right from Hulk Comic all the way throughout Doctor Who Weekly, 2000AD, Warrior and Deadline.
Even back then you knew that, like Dave Gibbons, Dillon's classically American-looking art was destined for the big time at Marvel & DC.
And when I returned to comics after a good few years of disenchantment with books full of badly proportioned grinning demons with unfeasibly large guns, it was Dillon that brought me back.
When I saw his and Garth Ennis' Welcome Back, Frank for the first time, it was like coming home to a warm log fire.
So here's that first appearance, with a 16 year old Steve giving us his mega-cool Nick Fury, from the pages of Hulk Comic ( although there's a different artist on the first episode, who I think is John Richardson. )
Anyway, yes, this is raw stuff, but man, it's got bags and bags of energy, style and rock solid storytelling..




















6 comments:

  1. I didn't realise Steve drew that strip at 16 years old, amazing work for someone so young - of course he got better as he got older - Always liked his art especially on UK books such a loss at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a loss for the comics business. And those Nick Furys that Steve drew have such a different take than the American material. Solid stuff, and how the hell he was that good at 16, I can't even fathom. Makes me very curious about other Marvel characters in their UK adventures. :) I know Marvel UK did their own versions of Hulk and Black Knight, but were there any others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even some of the greats of the past weren't as good at 16 as Steve was. Such a shame he's died and comics are now deprived of his talent. Greater yet the loss to his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Marvel UK only did versions version of SHEILD , Hulk and Black Knight.

    Other original material was Capt Britain of course and Night Raven (and Dr WhO) and comcis like Deaths Head, Motormouth etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got my mum to make an eye patch for my Action Man because of this strip. Brilliant stuff, thanks for posting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent - I got my mum to knit me a jumper like Starsky's!

    ReplyDelete