Thursday, 1 October 2015

Hanna-Barbera Super TV Heroes Annual



Here's everything I could scrabble from around the net from the 1977 Hanna-Barbera Super TV Heroes Annual, a hardback reprint of selected strips from Gold Key's comic of the same name. I used to have this as a kid, and have long since lost it, but it was easily the best Christmas present I got that year.
Because none of these cartoons were ever shown in the UK ( or at least not in our small corner ), this annual was like an entry into a whole other universe of wonderful, exciting new characters.
Sure, this is simplistic stuff, but that's entirely the point. This is brightly coloured fun for ankle biters, and for grown ups who might occasionally need a bit of simplicity and colour in their lives.
And the art throughout, mostly by Mike Arens & Sparky Moore with Mike Royer on inks, is uniformly excellent. As I may've said a few million times before, it takes genuine skill to make it look this easy.
Favourite character? I'm tempted to say Birdman, but he's just pipped at the post by The Mighty Mightor, for three reasons:
1) He's called The Mighty Mightor.
2) He's a stone age Thor in a mask.
3) His mask has huge horns sticking out of it. The visual is everything, are you listening, Ironjaw?








































4 comments:

  1. Conversely, I remember the cartoons from Saturday morning TV, and I had a couple of the original Gold Key comics, but I never heard of the hardback reprint Annual before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Do you know how many Annuals came out?
    Would love to see trade paperbacks of these issues.
    Very cool thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the two, I think. '76 & '77, and only in the UK to the best of my knowledge.
    I do keep seeing this one on ebay going for ludicrous amounts, which is why I ( cough cough ) liberated most of these scans from places like our old pal Diversions Of The Groovy Kind, but one day I'll get this one again.
    NEVER see the Gold Key originals by the way, TC ( hey, you're not Top Cat, are ya? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but when i was five, I really thought it was cool having the same initials as Top Cat, even if only coincidentally.

      Delete