Thursday, 27 August 2015

Pat Boyette's 'An Old Man' & 'Survivor'



Here's a couple of takes on the same story from Mr. Experimental himself, Pat Boyette. It's taken me a long time to get into Boyette's work, being a cast iron example of the kind of thing I hated as a kid. Too weird, too ugly, too out there. I still wouldn't say I absolutely love it as an adult, but what I do love is Pat's willingness to throw everything into the mix, be it odd camera angles and page layouts, or mixing media, colour and black & white as he does here.
An Old Man appeared in Ghost Manor in June of 1976, and it's a great, bleak, mournful tale. Then, in June 1983, Archie Goodwin gave Pat the chance to do it again in Epic, with better production values, and Survivor is even better.














No comments:

Post a Comment