Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Moon Knight: Hit It!



From the tail end of the Bronze Age, here's a bit of a lost masterpiece from the original series of Moon Knight. Although I've enjoyed the lunar crusader's deeply weird new run, and think it's probably the best thing Marvel are publishing at the moment, there's really only one Moon Knight series, and it's the one by Doug Moench & Bill Sienkiewicz.
MK was always a grown-up's superhero book, going down some very dark corners of the mind long before it became fashionable, and this is one of the best pieces. It's less of a story than a statement.















6 comments:

  1. I only had 1-3 of the 1st series of Moon Knight and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It does seem to get panned a lot though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sent me to the comics database to remind myself how good this series was. Definitely the best he's ever been drawn and I'm not a big fan of Bill's!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It gets panned a lot? Strange... I recall it as being one of the best at the time. Maybe the writing is a bit 70s compared to the Moore and Miller stuff that was big just after, but hard to beat watching Bill Sienkiewicz find his style.
    Anyway, this issue was my favourite of the run - enjoyed seeing it again. Thanks

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have been around 13 when I read it and not being a Batfan I didn't have the baggage of the comparisons that seems to be the main bug bear of the critics. I still have them and they're due a re-read. I really liked the multiple ID's and the taxi driver side kick, looked great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't aware this series had a bad rep either, but then I never look at 'don't know our arses from our elbows.com'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, viewed as a low rent Bats. I read a slagging of it recently but it could have been in an old BEM letters page! I've just googled 'don't know our arses from our elbows.com' and it wasn't what I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete