Saturday, 3 January 2015

Jeff Jones' Idyl



Dragons Dream have to be one of the greatest art book publishers ever. Back in The Bronze Age, they came out with spectacular tomes like The Studio, Roger Dean's Views, Druillet's Lone Sloane, Jim Fitzpatrick, Patrick Woodroffe, Chris Achilleos. The list goes on and on.
In 1979, they put together this, a collection of Jeff Jones' wonderful, philosophical strip from The National Lampoon.
Idyl follows the eternally innocent, eternally pregnant title star on her musings. Like Jones' successor I'm Age, it's funny, pretentious, and much deeper AND shallower than it first appears.
It's not for everyone, but here's the way I look at it: If you don't like the work of Jeff Jones, what're you doing here?









And here's Jeff's sample page for the series:

2 comments:

  1. I love this book, I have some of the Lampoon issues too. I got into it after Comic Book Artist did that huge Lampoon issue near the end of their original run. What a great issue that was. I still need those Frazetta Lampoon covers, lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weirdly, I was in my local Oxfam t'other day and they had a copy of Idyl. It was in terrible condition tho' so I'll let someone else take that bullet.

    ReplyDelete