Sunday, 5 October 2014

The Heap



I love muck monsters, me. All that galumphing around the swamp, dripping goo and moaning Why me? Grr Kill. Brilliant. And how fantastically cheesy is that cover?
Skywald's contribution to this stinky sub-genre was The Heap, and he's one of my favourites. He's a rejig of a Golden Age character, and seems to be written by a 13 year old boy, or Forrrest Ackerman at the very least. Not only does The Heap crack people's heads like eggshells, he eats live rats and dines on garbage. Plus, with his wide load arse and Gene Simmons tongue, he looks kinda cute, certainly more so than Moorlock 2001.
And the more it goes on, the more batshit crazy it gets.
Honestly, you will not be able to stop yourself cackling like you've just picked your nose and shown the bogey to your kid sister. I'm delighted to say this strip has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Well, that's not strictly true. It's got Ross Andru & Mike Esposito on art duties, who were both clearly digging each other in the ribs and laughing like drains all the way to the bank.



























6 comments:

  1. Omg, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently upgraded my full collection of Skywald horror. It didn't cost me a 'Heap' either certainly loads less than it would have done 12 years ago. I'm still waiting for that Twomorrows Swamp Men book that's been on the cards for what seems like an eternity. Man-Thing was always my favourite especially the Starlin strip in Rampaging Hulk 7 but my favourite swamp creature cover goes to Phantom Stranger 14. Going back to the Heap; does anyone remember the spoof in Fantasy Trader? That was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, whatever happened to that Twomorrows book? For that matter, whatever happened to the Jim Aparo one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure it's still going to happen but Twomorrows are not the concern they used to be. I bought a pile of Back Issue awhile ago and was stunned by how dull they were. The UK Marvel issue is well worth a look though. How I pine for the good old days of CBM and CBA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant stuff - thanks (again) for showing this as I always wanted to read this particular issue but never came across it - I remember Skywalds books in the 70s being smuggled into school and read at break as they were considered violent and on the edge - but now there well a bit tame BUT still fantastic - I managed to pick up a few of these recently including Hell Rider issue 1 - love all those B&W titles from Marvel, Skywald, Warren etc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely putting some Hell-Rider up here first chance I get. He rocks!

    ReplyDelete