Thursday, 9 October 2014

Space Ghost



Who doesn't love Space Ghost? I mean, he's got a cool name, a great costume, a pair of annoying kid sidekicks, and a pet monkey in a mask. Because, of course, monkey's need to protect their secret identity's at all times.
Here in the UK, we never got any of the Hanna-Barbera superheroes on TV ( or if we did, I missed it ), so they always fascinate me when I come across them. It's like a whole universe of hitherto undiscovered delights.
And Space Ghost especially, because he doesn't seem to have any kind of back story, fascinates me most of all.
He hasn't had a huge comic book career, popping up here and there intermittently, but that makes each appearance special. Here's the first time he got his own book, from Don R. Christensen & Dan Spiegle:





























While here's an all too short, but sweet, piece from his creator Alex Toth, with Mark Evanier, for Marvel's Hanna Barbera TV Stars:






And then, out of the time scale of this blog, there was uber-fan Steve Rude's loving one-off tribute, written again by Mark Evanier:


And finally, this mini-series from DC, by Joe Kelly & Ariel Olivetti, which a lot of purists loathed, but as I have no emotional investment in this character, and just think he's cool, loved.


As I say, out of our purview, but if any Space Ghost fans want to see more of those more recent series, we could bend the rules just this once...

11 comments:

  1. That "teacher" of Space Ghost is an interesting addition to the character's backstory. I wonder if the comics ever explained how or why Jace, Jan and Blip started tagging along with him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. addition? That's the first hint I've ever seen that he had any past at all. There was not one indication in the tv version, not one reference to any past at all.

      Delete
    2. Sorry Joe I don't think that series is online at all, but iris worth getting, as it's the origin story. It's dark, moody and violent but still feels in keeping somehow. Haunt those bargain bins!

      Delete
  2. In the Kelly / Olivetti series they did, yeah, but as I say some people don't look at that as 'canon' and actively hate it 'cos it is dark, grim, moody etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to really love the Space Ghost cartoons on Saturday morning, and I remember have one or two of the comics (probably reprints) back in the late '70s.
    I really love that short story drawn by Toth - it really makes you wish there had been an ongoing or at least a mini with him handling the art chores...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only agree, Edo, why didn't that ever happen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll double echo Eds comments re Toths strip great stuff as always by the great man. Although as a kid I was aware of Space Ghost I don't recall the character ever appearing on UK TV (certainly not in Scotland perhaps in England, Wales and Northern Ireland) ws this a popular cartoon in USA /Canada etc?

    I do remember the "Space Angel " cartoon (Toth art I think) that was popular on a Scottish kids show called "Cartoon Cavalcade" (dont think that went out until the 80s to the rest of the UK)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of Space Angel, so I just googled it. Definitely Toth designs and it has characters with names like Crystal Mace & Clutch Cargo!
    That's what I'll be watching this saturday morning then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched space angel as a child. We loved it, my brother and I. We knew Toth did it. we watched and lo0ved Space Ghost too. Space angel was dome much earlier maybe late 50s.

      Delete
    2. btw a character on Space angel was called Trois and some thin he was the mole for Scottie on Star Trek. Scottish borough, Engineer and same kind of personality.

      Delete