Monday, 11 August 2014

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Like anyone cares about my opinion, and without dropping any plot spoilers, but:
Seen it twice now, and it's my favourite Marvel movie.
Not because it's the best. That would be Avengers or Winter Soldier, but because it'll be the one that gets the few hold-outs in the world to get into our universe. Y'know, the saps who don't like superhero movies, but who want to see a great sci-fi / fantasy flick ( Hi Dan! )
Sure, I have a few plot and character quibbles, but here's the thing: I genuinely LIKED every one of The Guardians, and each one turned out to have moments of surprising depth and subtlety in what is basically a fun-filled romp, plus the script took every opportunity, and then some, to puncture typical Action Movie cliches.

As anyone who's spent more than 5 minutes with me knows, my all-time favourite comic ever is Marvel Preview #4, the first appearance of Star-Lord. But I'm the best kind of fan to please. As long as the spirit of the character is in the movie, I'm happy, and there were a couple of scenes where 'my' Star-Lord was up there on screen, plus I've seen the latest comics series anyway, so no complaints from this Marvelite.

Oh, and the soundtrack's been on in the car non-stop all week. Plus, parents across the land will be buying Groot and Rocket Racoon toys come Christmas. A kids toy that's a talking racoon with a machine gun? I Am Groot!
And did everybody spot Warlock's cocoon in The Collector's trophy room?


  1. What??? Warlock's cocoon? Completely missed that. So, another reason to re-watch the movie...

  2. I haven't seen it yet ( hopefully, this weekend ), but, certainly, ONE OF my all-time favourite comics is the Chris Claremont/John Byrne Starlord. it's one of the first comics I bring up when I need something to wave in someone's face and shout, " and THAT is how you do a comic! "

    ( unfortunately, I've had the brief appearance of my hands-down favourite Marvel character blown, but, hell, that's what I get for having internet. . . ).

  3. Saw it opening night with my sons. Both are now querying the comics. Could this be the one that gets them to read something other than Walking Dead or those book things without pictures? Best superhero film i have seen.

  4. There's a couple of trades of the new series might be worth investing in, Dave. As an extra incentive for the kids, Iron Man turns up for a few issues...

  5. I have not been in the least bit tempted to sell my MSH 18. I loved it when I read it in Star Wars Weekly and it was and still is one of my favourite comics of all time. I did however sell my M Preview 4 and 7 in an instant! I do miss both a bit I confess.