Monday, 7 July 2014

Alias Smith & Jones



I see one of the satellite channels is re-running Alias Smith & Jones, and at teatime, which is it's perfect slot. I watched this show religiously when it first ran. I mean, they were cool cowboys, plus one of the lead actors had the same name as me, so an easy sell.
Weirdly, I think I saw Alias Smith & Jones before I saw Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, so I'll always prefer the TV version, undoubted classic though the movie is.
These days, it's obvious why it was a massively popular programme, as it had something that's 100% missing from today's TV: Charm.


I remember being astounded as a kid that Pete Duel had commited suicide, as it was his and co-star Ben Murphy's easygoing friendship, and again, charm that sold the show. Duel particularly, always looked like he was having a great time on screen. The Alias Smith & Jones comic strip, from TV Action, could only really be a pale reflection of the show, as it itself became with Murphy gamely struggling on without Duel for the rest of the final series. I never watched those episodes by the way.
The art here is by Colin Andrew, which sounds like an alias itself, and it's pretty good, in a Look-In kind of way, even if he doesn't quite get Hayes & Curry's likenesses every time. But the stories do feel like they could be actual episodes of the show, and Andrew's art, as you'll see, is even better in colour.
















2 comments:

  1. Another great 70s western tv series of course was "The Quest" with Kurt Russell and Tim Mathieson:) Don't know if they ever made a strip of it though,being a short-lived series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, you were crazy about The Quest as I recall. You'd think Look-In or Gold Key would've done a comic, but no, don't think so.

    ReplyDelete