Sunday, 17 January 2010

Top Cat


Loved, loved, loved Top Cat as a kid. Even if he was renamed Boss Cat in the UK ( for fear of it being confused with Top Cat cat food! ) I think it was basically the fact that it was a cartoon about a small-time crook and a street gang that sold it to me, even at that age. ( And Boss Cat, of course, makes him sound even more like a gangster ). It also subtly, or maybe not so subtly, told kids that grown-ups/authority figures were generally fools and idiots. And don't tell me the animators weren't completely aware of that.
Gold Key, Dell & Charlton all had a go at publishing Top Cat comics. This story is, I think, from Gold Key or Dell, looking a little too old for Charlton's run. Regardless, it's a fun piece, even if it seems as if the uncredited scripter has never actually seen the show. Neither T.C. or Benny The Ball talk or behave like we're used to here; I mean Top Cat? Willingly clearing up trash? Handing back a treasure map because 'honesty demands it'? Man, talk about neutering the poor guy. Anyway, if I were you, I'd read this quick before Officer Dibble gets here, or to put it another way: mmmokay boys blue blur blur!!











21 comments:

Anonymous said...

How far did they go with changing the name? Can't imagine the opening theme song being re-recorded, or TC's name being redubbed every time it was mentioned...?

cheers
B Smith

pete doree said...

Nope, they really did do all that.Ridiculous.

JL Cancio said...

In Argentina the name of Top Cat was "Don Gato".
I loved too.
Cheers

joe bloke said...

you have been awarded the Kreativ Blogger award. see here. . .

http://grantbridgestreet.blogspot.com/2010/02/yes-its-true-i-am-indeed-awesome.html

Andrew Wahl said...

Hey, Pete. You still with us? The Bronze Age blogosphere misses you! Hope all is well.

Andrew
ComicsBronzeAge.com

Anonymous said...

I see that you have returned, from seeing your latest blog site advertised,but can't seem to get.I always keep getting the last post which was Top Cat.What's going on?budd

joe bloke said...

damn. & here was me thinking you were back, fella. ah, well. whatever you're doing, I hope the world's being kind to you. all the best, pete.

marga said...

Hello! I've posted this from your blog, I've added a link to your post! =) http://rayodesintegrador.blogspot.com/2010/07/los-superheroes-anunciando-pastelitos.html

Anonymous said...

nah, he was definately called Top Cat in England, I can remember it well
And Benny (?) always used to say "Hey T.C" and not "Hey B.C", that I can hear in my head real well ;-)

I like "Don Gato" though, that takes the whole gangster aspect up another level!!!

Ramiro said...

top cat had awesome backgrounds, that's how I visualize NY city when I think about it, even if it changed so much...

Chuck said...

Loved the cartoon as a kid. Good memories, nice post.

Rachael said...

I LOVE TOP CAT!!!!

Martin Gray said...

Great to see those strips, we used to get them in UK Christmas hardback annuals - what fun.

Hmm, is your spam filter not working?

cease ill said...

Hurray, i'm follower two hundred! The one thing I do know is you and I are enjoying Jim Shooter's blog regularly. I don't know how many times I've read posts here but it's quite an impressive array of properties and stories; I can see how it still attracts people from all over the Intra Webs.

Ragnarok said...

Top cat will always be one of my all time favorites :D!

pete doree said...

Hi, thanks to all you new followers for all the comments ( and apologies to anyone I've accidentely deleted while trying to get rid of all the spam! )
I keep trying to find the time to start the blog up again, and never seem to manage it, but p'haps I should as I'm getting more followers since I stopped! )

cerebus660 said...

Hey Pete, if you're reading this have a great Christmas! And if you ever start the ol' blog again, you know I'll be here waiting...

Best Wishes,
Simon ( cerebus660 )

Anonymous said...

Love Top Cat. I enjoy the DVD series and have one Charlton Comic #14.
About 10 years ago I found a ViewMaster episode on Top Cat too.
Just like when The Flintstones emulated The Honeymooners Top Cat was Sgt. Bilko. Even 2 characters from Bilko do the voices. Arnold Stang (Top Cat) and the actor Marvin Kaplan who played Doberman (Choo Choo) did the voices on Top Cat.
If you like Top Cat you'll enjoy Sgt Bilko.
Great site, have to bookmark this one,
Link

Kasia said...

I loved watching that when I was a child!

Mateusz said...

Lol Great stories

Mateusz Gapinski said...

Great !