Friday, 30 October 2009

The Great Pumpkin

Leave it to all those other sites to post blood-curdling tales of terror. Here at BAOB we know what Halloween's really about. It's about sitting out all night in the cold waiting for The Great Pumpkin to appear. I remember as a kid being completely fooled by Linus' annual visits to the pumpkin patch. I thought America really did have a mythical figure who rose out of the ground every year and dispensed toys. After all, the USA had The Easter Bunny which we don't really have, so why not a pumpkin?
Of course, what this particular portion of The World's Greatest Comic Strip was really about was Linus' gullibility. Various people with way too much time on their hands have chosen to view The Great Pumpkin as a parable on Christian Evangelism, or even on the subject of faith itself.
I'm sure that Schulz wasn't unaware of that, but I'm equally sure he just liked a good running gag.
Here's some of The Big Guy's non-appearances from The Bronze Age.


  1. Lovely stuff from one of the true masters of the comic strip. Snoopy's the coolest!

  2. Am I missing the dates on those, or are they not marked? I'd be interested in seeing them.

  3. I liberated them from They're all from on or around Halloween '74 to '76, I think. Check out the site, chuck!