Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Richard Corben

It's the birthday today of The Mighty Richard Corben, legendary of course for his fantastic photo-realist artwork full of huge, great, pendulous swinging....well, actually pretty much everything in a Richard Corben strip is huge, great, pendulous and swinging.
Let's look at a couple of humorous pieces today: First off, here's something chucklesome from the August 1975 issue of Creepy. Who would'a thunk the universe would this!!

And from Fantagor, here's a typically Corben-esque take on The Garden Of Eden myth, full of loads of huge, great etc. etc.

And what about this accompanying illo for the above story, one of the all too rare collaborations between Rich & Vaughn Bode. Why didn't these two ever do a series together?


  1. I love Corben's work. I'll never forget the first time I saw Den. I was blown away. Thanks for posting this.

  2. Corben rocks!I love this stuff.I especially loved his take on Sinbad.Happy Birthday R.C.

  3. I agree about what a great combo that Corben and Bode would have been based on that great picture they did together.What a force to be reckoned with.

  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

  5. Wow, your comic collection must be great. I thought I was the only one with that Fantagor book. I do have a Hot Stuff book as well.
    Have you ever seen Corben's work in Last
    Gasp Slow Death Comix's ?... His parody of
    Magnus... which is called Magnut Robot Biter
    is hilarious.

  6. Sadly not as great as it was. I keep remembering stuff I USED to have that I want to put up here! Not seen Magnus, but you just reminded me I do have an issue of Slow Death with Corben in it. Must dig it out.

  7. just found a couple of prints of his, roughly 8x10". one is entitled cosmic monster 22/200 are these worth anything