Thursday, 3 September 2009

Gene Colan


I'm such a dope. Not only did I miss Walt Simonson's birthday yesterday, but I even missed Gene Colan's on Tuesday! Blame it on the sunshine, blame it on the boogie. Next week there'll be something from Walt to cover up such a shocking lapse, but for today, here's something special from The Dean.
A few years back, the always excellent Twomorrows put out this Colan biography Secrets In The Shadows ( still available and still indispensable ). But at the time, you could also get a copy direct from Gene, via his website.



Gene was also selling this little gem, full of odds, sods, sketches and writings from his lengthy career.



What made it even sweeter was that if you bought both books direct, you'd also get a one off head shot of the character of your choice, free, gratis and for nothing, pencilled by Colan. Guess who I asked for?



And, as I bought both books, I got two sketches. As great as the DD one is, the Widow one is even better. I suspect not many people ask Gene to do Natasha, 'cos he seriously went to town on this one.



I always loved that run on Daredevil where Matt & Nat moved out to San Francisco ( purely, I think 'cos writer Gerry Conway was living there at the time ), and I'll cover it fully soon as I get some decent scans done, but guess what? Looks like Gene liked those stories just as much. Here's a beautiful piece from Secrets.



As I may've said one or two million times before, the thing that makes Gene Colan so great is not just the absolute, sheer, insane incredibleness of his artwork. It's the fact that no one ever tries to copy him. Because it's just too damn difficult.
Here's another great piece from The Gene Colan Annual, condensing DD's origin into one extraordinary splash.


As Matt himself might say, the defence rests.

9 comments:

  1. Captain America 601 with his pencils was fantastic, especially the uncolored issue. I think you can get an autographed version of that from his website as well. I'm seriously considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Black Widow sketch is gorgeous! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m awfully jealous of those sketches! FYI, I got a chance to briefly meet Gene during Comic-Con this year at a panel I was covering for Comic Book Resources. He was more than an hour late (communications snafu, apparently), but the time was filled with Marv Wolfman, Doug Moench and others telling stories about Gene. It was one of the highlights of the show.

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your blog very much.I'm waiting for your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was young and reading Dare Devil reprint over here in the UK, I never really liked Gene's work. In a similar way I never really took to Jack Kirby's art either. Not until years later when I rediscovered Colans art and fell completely in love with it (Jack's too). The foolishness of the young, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you on the Dean obsession.
    this guy made comic reading a shear joy back in the 70's. I loved DD but just look at the hieghts he scaled on tome of dracula.
    the guy was one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry, I meant tomb of dracula!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally with you on the Dean obsession.
    this guy made comic reading a shear joy back in the 70's. I loved DD but just look at the hieghts he scaled on tome of dracula.
    the guy was one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry, I meant tomb of dracula!

    ReplyDelete