Sunday, 13 September 2009

Frank Hampson's Spider-Man

Ages back, I was talking about bizzarro Marvel UK book The Titans, it's strange landscape format, and the posters it used to run, including: two very odd pictures by legendary Dan Dare artist Frank Hampson. I managed to get hold of Frank's second piece, a very Dare-esque poster that looked like a rejected sample, alongside some hastily scrawled nonsense attempting to tie it into The Marvel Universe.
The first piece Frank did was a Spidey poster that I remember hating as a kid, 'cos it looked a) too real and b) not drawn in 'The Marvel Style'. Anyway I couldn't get a copy to show what I meant at the time. Well, thanks to oversear of boredrigged.blogspot.com, we can all now see this thing! ( And apologies for not checking your comment sooner, oversear, only just got round to going back through all the old comments pages ) Here it is:


Sorry Frank, you were one of the greats of British comic art, but it's actually worse than I remember it...

8 comments:

  1. Hi Pete, great blog!

    I loved this as a kid- I remember opening it and being blown away as it looked so real... possibly because I could relate it to the Spidey suit I'd made myself, it wrinkled the same way! Now if I can just find the pictures...

    Duncan Fegredo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, but what about that isn't awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's me, but to my eyes, the anatomy is all over the place....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spidey does for once look like a teenager who sewed his own costume. I dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anatomy schmanatomy, I thought it was cool :) thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, well don't forget that there were two landscape mags in the end, as the newly merged Super Spider-Man with the Superheroes joined The Titans in the landscape trend. I loved 'em for the density of story material, and their uniqueness, but they weren't newsagent friendly and ate up material far too quickly! In researching my yes-it-will-be-out-eventually book on Marvel UK, I discovered that the British office hated them, but it was imposed on them by the US (where the basic contents of the comics were still being assembled). Anyway, the two Hampson posters - which did indeed stick out like sore thumbs, although lovely in their own right - actually appeared in Super Spider-Man not The Titans. The first one, as pictured here, in #163 and the follow up featuring 'Superdare' nearly a year later in Super Spider-Man and the Titans #206.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have to know Hampson to 'get' Hampson.. and that was his forte'. He always tried to create a believable world and with his take on Spider-Man here we see a young adult in a realistic costume.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which mags did the Hampson pics feature in, Dude?
    I got a few issues of The Titans, BUT NO POSTERS! Gah.

    Thanks for posting, I REALLY wanted to see this and I gotta say: I like it!

    ReplyDelete