Thursday, 16 July 2009

Doomsday + 1


Doomsday + 1 was another one of those epics that never was, as well as, of course, being one of the first professional jobs in comics for John Byrne. Written by Joe Gill, it came from Charlton, that small company from Connecticut that numbered among it's alumni such greats as Dick Giordano, Jim Aparo, Steve Skeates AND Steve Ditko. Charlton never made much inroads into the UK, plus they were printed on appallingly bad paper, so we never took much notice of them when they did occasionally turn up.
We took notice of John Byrne tho', particularly when he started drawing X-Men, and the hunt for earlier material was very much on instantly. Doomsday + 1 was a fun little strip, with it's cast consisting of fairly dull hero, Jean Grey-esque heroine, disposable asian second heroine and ( for no readily apparent reason ) thawed-from-the-ice caveman, all travelling around the post-apocalyptic landscape, and getting into the usual sort of scrapes post-apocalypse heroes do.
Byrne's work here is VERY raw, but you can still see future echoes of the style that was soon to wow us all. Two interesting points as well. Note how much more finished Byrne's drawing of sexy babe Jill is in the third panel of page 12 than the rest of that page is. John spent a long time getting that right.
Also longtime X-Fans, check out that close up of the bearded henchman on page 18. Is that...?
Is that....That's Jason Wyngarde, isn't it?





















7 comments:

  1. Is this in public domain? I'm curious cuz you've posted all these pages, and I've always wanted to do that with the Atlas comics that came out in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure, Jim. I look at this blog like: Most of the stuff I put up here is long out of print, and I'm not making any money out of it, just sharing stuff with fellow fans. As the disclaimer says, if anybody does object, I'll happily remove it. No one seems that concerned ye, I'm glad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair enough. I'd argue that they'd have to send you a cease and desist before trying to sue you or anything. I'll try posting something similar Monday.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are they gonna sue me for? I can't even afford old comics, let alone new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think some Canadian Publisher owns the rights.Saw it reprint awhile back in black and white somebody-that was way after those Fantagraphics Edition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this series... I especially loved the crappy printing... something about it made it seem special. And John Byrne was just starting to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A new version (with Byrne) of this series began with cover date May 2013, titled Doomsday.1. Having only briefly skimmed the 1st issue, it looks to be a remake of the old one. Will probably have other twists and turns I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete