Monday, 29 June 2009

This, That & Some More


Just a quick round up of random things today, for a change. Firstly, can I point anybody yet to see it in the direction of the How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way video over on youtube? It's a lot of fun, even if you're not interested in learning how to draw like John Buscema, plus you won't be able to stop laughing at Big John's increasingly pained expression as Stan pulls yet another terrible gag out of his seemingly endless bag.


Also, finally got to see some of the new Brave & The Bold cartoon this week. Unlike a lot of the Saturday morning cartoons based on our favourite characters (Wolverine & The X-Men, the other Batman cartoon) this has a lot of style to it, and, again, it's fun! Bats is drawn as if by Dick Sprang, which is cool. And the writers are clearly fans of B &B god Bob Haney, 'cos it makes no sense whatsoever. Also liked the prologue's, where you get another guest star for your money, in an unrelated to the main story bit. For instance, in the Aquaman episode, The Atom cameo's, and in the Kamandi one, Mister Miracle pops up. The only other kids cartoon of recent years I liked was that Teen Titans one, and this is that good.

Finally, following on from the post on brit fanzine BEM, I got to thinking about all those kids we knew, who would just never swap anything. The two worst offenders for us were a couple of guys called Dean Willetts & Andrew Holder. Dean, particularly, would let you go through the whole rigmarole of going through his entire collection, taking out the ones you were interested in, before putting 90% of them back in the box, with a smug 'no, not that one.'
It didn't matter what you had to swap, you could've had Action Comics no. 1, He just would not swap anything good.
Andrew Holder, meanwhile, wouldn't even let you go through his collection, if I remember rightly, just sort of show you the covers from a distance. I think I tried to get Neverwhere, Sabre and Stewart The Rat off him, none of which he even liked. And none of which he'd swap.
And you know what makes it worse? I guarantee both of 'em gave their collections away years ago for next to nothing. I absolutely guarantee it.
So let's name & shame these people! Who were the worst offenders? And are any of them still collecting & still not swapping? You bet they are.

4 comments:

  1. Big John does look distinctly uncomfortable a lot of the time! ;) At one point I'm sure I see an eyerolling at his script

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete:

    Just saw the ”How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way” video for the first time recently. The shocker for me was discovering I’d been mispronouncing Buscema’s name wrong all these years. (Sadly, now I’m just confused and can’t remember which pronunciation is right!)

    Thanks for the tip on the Brave and the Bold cartoon. I haven’t checked it out yet, but Teen Titans was a HUGE hit in my household (it’s as close as I’ve gotten to getting my youngest daughter hooked on our addiction!) We’ll be looking to watch one soon.

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete:

    Do you still like to swap comics? In the course of chasing down pieces for my own collection, I’ve managed to amass quite a few high-grade duplicates. I’ve recently listed them all on ComicsBronzeAge.com; if there’s anything there that interests you, let me know and maybe we can work out a trade.

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely,though my collection these days is pretty poor ( mostly consisting of reprint trades now! ) so I dunno if I'd actually have anything anyone wants, but I'll definately have a look, sir.

    ReplyDelete