Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Brian Lewis

Brian Lewis is yet another of those great artists almost completely forgotten these days, except by a select few. He first came to prominence in the '50's, illustrating beautifully detailed covers for sci-fi magazines like New Worlds. Science Fantasy & SF Adventures. By the '60's, he'd moved to comics, working on numerous sports & war strips for Lion, Tiger & TV Comic, but I first became aware of him in the '70's, mainly through stuff like this:

This was an ad that ran in various british comics; It was either for Forbidden Planet or another comic shop around at the time, Dark They Were & Golden Eyed. I can't for the life of me remember which, but I do know I became a Brian Lewis fan instantly on seeing it. Brian went on to do a few things for the early 2000AD, and it's short-lived companion title Starlord, like this pair of stunning covers:

But the thing I guess most people remember him for were the strips he did for House of Hammer magazine, including adaptations of movies like The Quatermass Xperiment.

And, of course, this strip: Van Helsing's Terror Tales, where Peter Cushing introduced spooky stories at the back of the mag. Brian's art was always weirdly organic and plantlike, completely unique, and fitted horror perfectly. It's a shame Joe Orlando never got hold of him for House Of Mystery, as he'd've slotted in there perfectly. Here's two terror tales, followed by a little something from the lighter side.


  1. I love the way that sometimes on this blog you really drop a memory bomb in my head! I can't remember the last time I thought of this guy, but I remember all these pages and thinking sat the time that he was a favourite artist of mine. Great post!

  2. I loved Brian Lewis, and still do. If you pop into the Grantbridge Street blog, you'll find a number of his strips, particularly my favourite of his, the comic of Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires. Such a shame that he died, like yourself I'd have loved to see him working on the DC mystery titles, or one of the Marvel horror star titles. Ooooooh, Man-Thing by Brian Lewis, how sweet would that have been?

    Another great post, fella.

  3. Man-Thing by Gerber & Lewis? Man, that would'a been monumental. And I was all set to put 7 Vamps up here, I forget you'd already done it, Joe! hell with it, it's so good, it deserves to be seen, I'll put it up anyway!