Tuesday, 19 May 2009

The Avatar & The Chimera

The Avatar & The Chimera ran in two parts, in the 2nd & 3rd issues of Mike Friedrich's Imagine, and was historically quite an important piece for it's creator P. Craig Russell. After Killraven, the book that made Russell's name, was cancelled, this was one of the first subsequent pieces of his to make it to print, and ( along with the graphic novelette Parsifal, also published by Friedrich ) pointed the way to most of his subsequent work in a field he pretty much owns. That of Opera adaptations, symbolism & visual poetry.
I'm no great lover of Opera, and I generally loathe visual poems, finding that kind of stuff unutterably pretentious and dull. However, if Craig Russell drew his shopping list, it'd be beautiful & magical, so he's the exception. What's The Avatar & The Chimera trying to say? I have absolutely no idea. But it looks fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. nope. haven't got a scooby.

    but! it sure is purdy.

    and it wasn't until I read it that I realised I've never actually read it before. very cool, pete. very cool, indeed.