Monday, 9 February 2009

Footrot Flats

And from New Zealand, here's Murray Ball's brilliant Footrot Flats, all about the misadventures of a kiwi sheep farmer and his infinitely more intelligent dog. Quite apart from how funny it is, I always liked this strip's sense of evocation. I've never been a sheep farmer in New Zealand, (at least not so far; the night is young) but, with just a few lines, Ball gives you a real sense of what the environment is like, living in some godforsaken piece of nowhere, where your nearest neighbour is a coupla' miles away. And he makes you laugh! The mark of a great cartoonist.






5 comments:

  1. I remember these five cartoons very well from my childhood, Pete.. But there are hundreds more... Great to see my countryman's work on the blog. My family owned all the books. See if you can find some of the cartoons starring Horse (not a horse, but a cat).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horse ( the cat ) comin' right up! I honestly put Footrot Flats up there with Peanuts & Calvin & Hobbes. Never did understand why such a great cartoonist as Ball made The Dog look more like a cat tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because "Dog" is "soft," a "sook"... He was raised in a home for cats and is more than a little neurotic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may be pulling my leg,but if that's true, that's genius.

    ReplyDelete